BIG PINE KEY & BAHIA HONDA, THE LOW-KEY ISLANDS
Point of entry of the Lower Keys, Big Pine Key is connected to Marathon by the iconic Seven Mile Bridge, which was one of the longest bridges in the world when constructed in 1912, and gained worldwide fame through blockbuster movies such as Licence to Kill, True Lies, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and Mission Impossible III.
Less animated than other regions of the Florida Keys, the Lower Keys consist in a string of smaller islands such as Summerland Key, Big Torch Key, and Sugarloaf Key.
Located just ahead of Big Pine, Bahia Honda Key is home to Bahia Honda State Park, a unique natural site with magnificent beaches and world-class snorkeling.
While mostly frequented for its diving, kayaking, cycling, and wildlife-watching activities, Big Pine Key also hosts a small community of amateur astronomers enjoy the perfect local conditions.
BIG PINE KEY & BAHIA HONDA Map
A hot spot for wildlife and diving
- Reaching Big Pine Key by the East means entering in deer country, as the 30-inch all, endemic Key Deers aka "toy deer" roam around the National Key Deer Refuge, a dedicated 2,300-acre mostly untouched natural reserve.
- Remarkable freshwater sites abound in Big Pine Key, including The Blue Hole within the National Key Deer Refuge, a watery sinkhole full of fish, turtles and even alligators.
- The remarkable Bahia Honda State Park is almost worth the trip by itself, with its incredible award-winning white sand beaches.
- One of the best snorkeling and scuba diving spots in the Florida Keys, the Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary is a great place to observe coral reefs and canyons, counless tropical fishes and other marine wildlife.
OTHER FUN ACTIVITIES IN THE LOWER KEYS
- Beyond casual snorkeling, Big Pine is also a base for exciting diving expeditions around major sunk ships and wrecks like the 210-foot long Adolphus Busch.
- Built in 1929, the Bat Tower is a singular building erected to fight mosquito invasions, and although it did not work as intended, it remains a popular sight with visitors if only for an unusual photo souvenir.
- Kayaking is a popular way to explore the Lower keys and to observe a colorful wildlife especially at sunset, from the shallow lagoons of No Name Key to the eerie mangroves of Saddlebunch Keys.
CAMPING & ACCOMODATIONS
- Due to a relatively slow housing development and large tracks of wild land along the 30-miles long Lower Keys, the Big Pine area is the favorite spot for camping in all the Florida Keys.
- Many campgrounds are available throughout the Lower Keys, as well as R.V. parks coming in all sizes, from small private rentals to large premium camping resorts.
- Some of the most popular camping sites are the Sugarloaf Key KOA, the Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge and the Geider Key Park Marina but you can also stay within the Bahia Honda Sate Park which hosts three campgrounds (80 campsites) for tents and RVs.
- Besides camping, the Lower Keys have a lot to offer in terms of accomodations, from B&B's like the Barnacle Bed & Breakfast, a wide variety of private vacation rental homes and hotels in all price ranges from the laylow Parmer's Resort to the exclusive Melody Key, as well as premium tropîcal resorts such as the Little Palm Island Resort & Spa.
Big Pine & Lower Keys Nautical Expo to Offer Maritime Merchandise Jan. 13-14
13 Dec 2017
Attention, water enthusiasts: boats, motors and nautical items galore are to be available at the 14th annual Big Pine & Lower Keys Nautical Expo. A popular annual “pop-up” outfitter of supplies for a wide variety of water activities, ...
Offbeat 'Drops' and Fireworks to Mark Florida Keys New Year's Eve
06 Dec 2017
From beachside fireworks to wacky takeoffs on the traditional ball drop in New York’s Times Square, the Florida Keys offer visitors a wealth of ways to welcome 2018. And because “winter” in the subtropical island chain means balmy b...
2018 Florida Keys Fishing Tournament Highlights
17 Nov 2017
More than 40 species of fish are targeted during the multimonth tournament, with divisions for men, women, junior anglers (ages 10 to 15) and Pee Wees (under 10 years old).
Atlanta/Key West Duo Wins Sugarloaf Showdown in Lower Florida Keys
07 Nov 2017
Four barracuda and one bonefish, all released while fly-fishing, earned first-place honors for Captain John Benvenuto of Key West, Florida, and angler Scott Christian of Atlanta, Georgia, at the recent Sugarloaf Showdown.
Spirited Holiday Events Await Visitors in the Florida Keys & Key West
07 Nov 2017
From Key Largo to Key West, the 2017 holidays are sprinkled with spirited activities and stylish only-in-the-Keys events featuring decorated boats, bicycles and a bodacious high-heeled shoe.
Big Pine & The Lower Keys — The Natural KeysViews:181565
The Florida Keys and the Highway that goes to the SeaViews:312419
Big Pine Key & the Lower KeysViews:4284
Bahia Honda State Park - Florida KeysViews:94975
Lower Keys Underwater Music Festival (Video)Views:3751