ISLAMORADA, SPORTS FISHING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
Just half an hour south of Key Largo, the area of Islamorada is a 20-miles long "Village of Islands" claiming the title of sportfishing capital of the world, promising an unforgettable Florida Keys experience for world-class angler and first-timers alike.
Whether to encounter the local Islamorada sailfish, bonefish, marlin, mahi-mahi, or the legendary Tarpon, Islamorada it a unique fishing spot with an unlimited choice of charter boats and world-class captains to walk in the footsteps of legendary fishermen such as Ted Williams, or Cecil Keith.
Besides sport-fishing, Islamorada is another great spot for snorkeling, leisurely swimming in crystal blue waters or simply laying low on a perfect white sand beach.
WORLD-CLASS ANGLING & SPORT FISHING
- Know as the Sportfishing Capital of the World for over 100 years, Islamorada is an iconic destination for all anglers, and the place where slatwater fly fishing and backcountry sport fishing conquered their badge of honor.
- Islamorada is unique and diverse fishing spot also because of its location just off the Gulf Stream, between Florida Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. In the Keys, Florida Bay is called the "Backcountry" while the Atlanttic Ocean is referred to as the "Front Side".
- Professional charter boats abound in Islamorada with something for every taste, from light tackle to offshore fishing, notwithstanding the inevitable party boats. Islamorada is definitely the place where you can hire top tournament-grade captains such as local legends Jimmy Albright, Cecil Keith, and Clarence Lowe.
- Sitting on the ocean's highway of game fish that is the Gulf Stream, Islamorada offers endless opportunities in terms of sportfishing: snapper, cobia, grouper, mahi-mahi, sailfish, marlin, tuna, wahoo, kingfish, amberjack, shark, barracuda and many more species, including the legendary sworfish.
FUN THINGS TO DO IN ISLAMORADA
- Accessible only by boat (private or guided tour), the Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park is a tiny foresty island 1 mile off the U.S 1 Highway, where you can kayak, discover the local flora, hike with a ranger-guided tour, visit a 1930s historical mansion.
- Animal lovers, make sure not to miss Islamadora's Theater of the Sea, a marine adventure park unike any other where you can encounter sea lions and sting rays, and even swim with dolphins (reservations required) !
- Although seafood is the number one local treat, the M.E.A.T Eatery and Taproom on Islamorada is the place to have a tasty burger with mircobrewed beer or try the local specialty of truffle fries.
EXPLORING THE CULTURE OF THE KEYS
To learn more about Islamorada's local culture, visit the Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park to walk self-guided trails along eight-foot-high quarry walls and discover the site of Henry Flagler's overseas railroad from the 1900s.
The Indian Key Historic State Park - sitting on an island on the Atlantic Ocean side of Islamorada- lets you get a glimpse of the local Native Americans history, or tour the island by boat or kayak which you can rent at the nearby Marina.
Passionate about diving? The History of Diving Museum is a unique place where you can educate yourself about the fascinating history of the discipline, from Edmund Halley’s 1691 diving bell to deep diving and military artefacts, as well as a great aquarium where you can see inside from a diving helmet.
Offbeat 'Drops' and Fireworks to Mark Florida Keys New Year's Eve
06 Dec 2017
From beachside fireworks to wacky takeoffs on the traditional ball drop in New York’s Times Square, the Florida Keys offer visitors a wealth of ways to welcome 2018. And because “winter” in the subtropical island chain means balmy b...
Islamorada's Baygrass Bluegrass Festival to Offer a Well-Strung Weekend Jan. 12-14
05 Dec 2017
Visitors to the Florida Keys in January can delight in the warmer climes, and music lovers can revel in Islamorada’s Baygrass Bluegrass Music Festival set for Friday through Sunday, Jan. 12-14.
Texas Anglers Win Islamorada Sailfish Tournament, Kicking Off Gold Cup Series
04 Dec 2017
A Texas father-and-son team clinched the win in the final minutes of the Islamorada Sailfish Tournament Sunday, Dec. 3, kicking off the renowned triple-crown Florida Keys Gold Cup Sailfish Championship series.
Key Largo and Islamorada 'Uncorked' Festival Appeals to Food, Wine Lovers Jan. 4-14
21 Nov 2017
Wine and food lovers can stimulate their taste buds at the annual “Uncorked: The Key Largo and Islamorada Food and Wine Festival,” an 11-day culinary and cocktail extravaganza set for Thursday, Jan. 4, through Sunday, Jan. 14.
2018 Florida Keys Fishing Tournament Highlights
17 Nov 2017
More than 40 species of fish are targeted during the multimonth tournament, with divisions for men, women, junior anglers (ages 10 to 15) and Pee Wees (under 10 years old).
Islamorada -- The Village of IslandsViews:216567
Flats Fishing in Islamorada - Florida Keys Flats Fishing - Jose Wejebe / SpanishflytvViews:63890
Florida Keys, Visiting the Theater of the Sea in Islamorada.A FloridaKeysXperienceImageViews:4681
Florida Keys IslamoradaViews:7735
tour of islamoradaViews:11713