ISLAMORADA, SPORTS FISHING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
Just half an hour south of Key Largo, the area of Islamorada is a 20-miles long "Village of Islands" claiming the title of sportfishing capital of the world, promising an unforgettable Florida Keys experience for world-class angler and first-timers alike.
Whether to encounter the local Islamorada sailfish, bonefish, marlin, mahi-mahi, or the legendary Tarpon, Islamorada it a unique fishing spot with an unlimited choice of charter boats and world-class captains to walk in the footsteps of legendary fishermen such as Ted Williams, or Cecil Keith.
Besides sport-fishing, Islamorada is another great spot for snorkeling, leisurely swimming in crystal blue waters or simply laying low on a perfect white sand beach.
WORLD-CLASS ANGLING & SPORT FISHING
- Know as the Sportfishing Capital of the World for over 100 years, Islamorada is an iconic destination for all anglers, and the place where slatwater fly fishing and backcountry sport fishing conquered their badge of honor.
- Islamorada is unique and diverse fishing spot also because of its location just off the Gulf Stream, between Florida Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. In the Keys, Florida Bay is called the "Backcountry" while the Atlanttic Ocean is referred to as the "Front Side".
- Professional charter boats abound in Islamorada with something for every taste, from light tackle to offshore fishing, notwithstanding the inevitable party boats. Islamorada is definitely the place where you can hire top tournament-grade captains such as local legends Jimmy Albright, Cecil Keith, and Clarence Lowe.
- Sitting on the ocean's highway of game fish that is the Gulf Stream, Islamorada offers endless opportunities in terms of sportfishing: snapper, cobia, grouper, mahi-mahi, sailfish, marlin, tuna, wahoo, kingfish, amberjack, shark, barracuda and many more species, including the legendary sworfish.
FUN THINGS TO DO IN ISLAMORADA
- Accessible only by boat (private or guided tour), the Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park is a tiny foresty island 1 mile off the U.S 1 Highway, where you can kayak, discover the local flora, hike with a ranger-guided tour, visit a 1930s historical mansion.
- Animal lovers, make sure not to miss Islamadora's Theater of the Sea, a marine adventure park unike any other where you can encounter sea lions and sting rays, and even swim with dolphins (reservations required) !
- Although seafood is the number one local treat, the M.E.A.T Eatery and Taproom on Islamorada is the place to have a tasty burger with mircobrewed beer or try the local specialty of truffle fries.
EXPLORING THE CULTURE OF THE KEYS
To learn more about Islamorada's local culture, visit the Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park to walk self-guided trails along eight-foot-high quarry walls and discover the site of Henry Flagler's overseas railroad from the 1900s.
The Indian Key Historic State Park - sitting on an island on the Atlantic Ocean side of Islamorada- lets you get a glimpse of the local Native Americans history, or tour the island by boat or kayak which you can rent at the nearby Marina.
Passionate about diving? The History of Diving Museum is a unique place where you can educate yourself about the fascinating history of the discipline, from Edmund Halley’s 1691 diving bell to deep diving and military artefacts, as well as a great aquarium where you can see inside from a diving helmet.
New Resorts, Refurbishments Await Travelers to Florida Keys
19 Jun 2018
The Florida Keys & Key West are unveiling 1,500 “new” rooms this summer, showcasing all-new and fully refurbished resorts — and its first “luxury-inclusive” resort — in coming weeks.
Florida Keys Reefs' Annual Reproduction is a Fantastical Underwater Occurrence
19 Jun 2018
Night divers soon can submerge on Florida Keys reefs for a chance to witness a fascinating yet fragile underwater reproductive phenomenon that occurs when coral polyps release millions of gametes (eggs and sperm) in synchronized mass-spawning rituals...
'Immerse Yourself!' in Learning at Florida Keys History of Diving Museum
13 Jun 2018
The Florida Keys History of Diving Museum, dedicated to the collection, preservation and display of relics and artifacts regarding the sport’s heritage, is offering a free “Immerse Yourself!” lecture series for underwater ...
Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Launches Blue Star Fishing Guide Program
13 Jun 2018
The Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary has implemented a Blue Star Fishing Guide program to recognize and promote sustainable recreational fishing in the Keys.
Updated and New Accommodations, Expanded Airlift and Fun Excursions Highlight What's New in the Florida Keys & Key West
01 Jun 2018
New and fully renovated properties, including the Florida Keys’ first luxury-inclusive adults-only resort, are soon to be unveiled in the island chain. New airlift into Key West International Airport also is on the horizon, with seasonal servic...
Islamorada -- The Village of IslandsViews:224069
Flats Fishing in Islamorada - Florida Keys Flats Fishing - Jose Wejebe / SpanishflytvViews:68546
Florida Keys, Visiting the Theater of the Sea in Islamorada.A FloridaKeysXperienceImageViews:5370
Florida Keys IslamoradaViews:8366
tour of islamoradaViews:17429