ISLAMORADA, SPORTS FISHING CAPITAL OF THE WORLD
Just half an hour south of Key Largo, the area of Islamorada is a 20-miles long "Village of Islands" claiming the title of sportfishing capital of the world, promising an unforgettable Florida Keys experience for world-class angler and first-timers alike.
Whether to encounter the local Islamorada sailfish, bonefish, marlin, mahi-mahi, or the legendary Tarpon, Islamorada it a unique fishing spot with an unlimited choice of charter boats and world-class captains to walk in the footsteps of legendary fishermen such as Ted Williams, or Cecil Keith.
Besides sport-fishing, Islamorada is another great spot for snorkeling, leisurely swimming in crystal blue waters or simply laying low on a perfect white sand beach.
WORLD-CLASS ANGLING & SPORT FISHING
- Know as the Sportfishing Capital of the World for over 100 years, Islamorada is an iconic destination for all anglers, and the place where slatwater fly fishing and backcountry sport fishing conquered their badge of honor.
- Islamorada is unique and diverse fishing spot also because of its location just off the Gulf Stream, between Florida Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. In the Keys, Florida Bay is called the "Backcountry" while the Atlanttic Ocean is referred to as the "Front Side".
- Professional charter boats abound in Islamorada with something for every taste, from light tackle to offshore fishing, notwithstanding the inevitable party boats. Islamorada is definitely the place where you can hire top tournament-grade captains such as local legends Jimmy Albright, Cecil Keith, and Clarence Lowe.
- Sitting on the ocean's highway of game fish that is the Gulf Stream, Islamorada offers endless opportunities in terms of sportfishing: snapper, cobia, grouper, mahi-mahi, sailfish, marlin, tuna, wahoo, kingfish, amberjack, shark, barracuda and many more species, including the legendary sworfish.
FUN THINGS TO DO IN ISLAMORADA
- Accessible only by boat (private or guided tour), the Lignumvitae Key Botanical State Park is a tiny foresty island 1 mile off the U.S 1 Highway, where you can kayak, discover the local flora, hike with a ranger-guided tour, visit a 1930s historical mansion.
- Animal lovers, make sure not to miss Islamadora's Theater of the Sea, a marine adventure park unike any other where you can encounter sea lions and sting rays, and even swim with dolphins (reservations required) !
- Although seafood is the number one local treat, the M.E.A.T Eatery and Taproom on Islamorada is the place to have a tasty burger with mircobrewed beer or try the local specialty of truffle fries.
EXPLORING THE CULTURE OF THE KEYS
To learn more about Islamorada's local culture, visit the Windley Key Fossil Reef Geological State Park to walk self-guided trails along eight-foot-high quarry walls and discover the site of Henry Flagler's overseas railroad from the 1900s.
The Indian Key Historic State Park - sitting on an island on the Atlantic Ocean side of Islamorada- lets you get a glimpse of the local Native Americans history, or tour the island by boat or kayak which you can rent at the nearby Marina.
Passionate about diving? The History of Diving Museum is a unique place where you can educate yourself about the fascinating history of the discipline, from Edmund Halley’s 1691 diving bell to deep diving and military artefacts, as well as a great aquarium where you can see inside from a diving helmet.
Winners of Ladies Dolphin Tournament Land Tournament-Record Fish
14 Jun 2017
When the weigh scales closed at 5 p.m. Saturday, June 10, it was clear that Islamorada’s Captain Justin Matson, skippering the Islamorada Beer Co. boat, had led his anglers to victory in the fifth annual Ladies Dolphin Tournament.
July 4 Festivities and Fireworks to Sparkle Throughout Florida Keys
02 Jun 2017
Independence Day celebrations throughout the 125-mile-long Florida Keys island chain salute the nation’s freedom — and the quirky independent spirit of the Keys — with local parades, picnics and parties topped off by fireworks displ...
Islamorada Summer Fishing Classic Encourages Anglers of All Ages, Experience Levels
24 May 2017
Islamorada Classic tournaments appeal to anglers of all ages looking to fish for multiple species. The Islamorada Summer Classic offshore team event is set for Friday through Sunday, July 7-9.
University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame Celebrity Fishing Tournament Set for June 23-24
08 May 2017
Anglers and University of Miami Hurricanes sports fans can fish with their favorite ‘Canes All-Stars at the annual University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame Celebrity Fishing Tournament. The tournament is scheduled Friday and Saturday, June 23-24...
Six State Parks of Upper Florida Keys
03 May 2017
Ten state parks throughout the 125-mile-long Florida Keys & Key West island chain include some of Florida’s most appealing waterfront views and beaches. Most parks are only footsteps from Florida Bay’s aquamarine waters to the west an...
Islamorada -- The Village of IslandsViews:210696
Flats Fishing in Islamorada - Florida Keys Flats Fishing - Jose Wejebe / SpanishflytvViews:61523
Florida Keys, Visiting the Theater of the Sea in Islamorada.A FloridaKeysXperienceImageViews:4295
Florida Keys IslamoradaViews:6820
tour of islamoradaViews:8293