MARATHON, A FAMILY-STYLE MARINE HEAVEN
The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys.
Nature is a central feature of Marathon, and enjoying it in a gentle, respectful manner is a way of life in the family-style 10-mile-long island. From the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters to the Dolphin Research Center and the Turtle Hospital, marine life is everywhere at Marathon.
Marathon is also a boatman's favorite with the Marathon City Marina, the Keys' most exclusive mooring spot, and numerous other boat facilities (1,200 wet slips, 1,200 dry slips), as well as perfect accomodations for transient cruisers.
Marathon is one of the easiest location to reach by private plane thanks to its convenient Florida Keys Marathon International Airport rental agencies and taxi service.
Marathon, the marine-friendly Key
- Just before getting into town you can stop by the Dolphin Research Center, a 30+ year-old, not-for-profit marine life education and research facility which organizes hourly and daily visits, interactive animal encounters with sea lions, and a great occasion to swim with dolphins.
- Another fantastic NFP organization is the Turtle Hospital, featuring 90-mns guided educational tours, encounters with the sea turtles, as well as behind-the-scenes visits of the hospital facilities and rehabilitation area.
- At the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters you will find a coral reef exhibit, a 200,000-gallon saltwater aquarium, and you can experience close encounters wih reef fish, stingrays and sharks!
Boating facilities & accomodations
- The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys, mostly famous for its world-class resorts and boating facilities.
- Coming into Marathon from Islamorada, the tiny island of Duck Key is the first of the Marathon Keys, where you can find the renowned beachside inn Hawks Cay Resort.
- Further along, you will find many great resorts on the Ocean Side of the Ocean Highway (Casa del Sol, Bonefish, Rainbow Bend, Seashell Beach...), a host of private waterfront vacation homes, and local fresh seafood restaurants.
- Marathon is also a major boating area with top-notch marine facilities and marinas than can host 1,200 wet slips and 1,200 dry slips.
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN MARATHON
- Scuba divers will have plenty choices between Delta Shoals, Coffin Patch and Sombrero Reef, three exceptional shallow water diving sites perfect for first-timers.
- A great way to discover the island is by kayaking, from the turquoise blue waters of perfectly maintained white sand beaches, to the mangroves and shallow water diving spots.
- Marathon also a lot to offer to occasional anglers and seasoned sportfishermen, with great fishing spots where one can tackle dolphins and tarpons during hot season, tuna and billfish when the waters cool down.
- On the cultural side, the Crane Point Museum, Nature Center & Historic Site offers unique hikes in a well-preserved tropical hardwood grove.
- Pigeon Key is another interesting spot just off the 7 Mile Bridge, this tiny 5-acre island having once hosted the headquarters for the Florida Keys Over-Sea Railroad.
'Heroes Salute' Tribute a Florida Keys Labor Day Weekend Tradition
27 Jul 2017
Military, fire rescue, police and medical personnel are to be honored as part of an annual Heroes Salute Tribute Weekend held Friday through Sunday, Sept. 1-3, at Hawks Cay Resort, Villas and Marina, 61 Hawks Cay Blvd. on Duck Key.
Florida Keys Reefs' Annual Reproduction Is a Fantastical Underwater Occurrence
20 Jul 2017
Night divers are to take to Florida Keys reefs for a chance to witness a delicate reproductive phenomenon that occurs when coral polyps release millions of gametes (eggs and sperm) in synchronized mass-spawning rituals. The event is likely to occur a...
Choose #SimplyTheKeys for an Unforgettable Getaway
30 Jun 2017
In today’s hyper-connected, stress-filled, hurry-up world, the best vacation — like the best life — is all about simplicity.
A Florida Keys Escape Means Simply Serenity
30 Jun 2017
When work schedules and responsibilities seem especially stressful, the siren song of the subtropical Florida Keys can be almost impossible to resist. The inviting island chain offers a variety of ways to treat body and mind to “unplugged&rdquo...
'Keymandments' Encourage Simply Sustainable Behaviors
30 Jun 2017
Encouraging environmentally responsible behaviors is a crucial element of the Florida Keys’ commitment to protecting the region’s natural resources, including the continental United States’ only living coral barrier reef. Visitors c...
Marathon -- The Boating and Family DestinationViews:153249
The Islands of MarathonViews:27679
Scuba Diving in Marathon, FloridaViews:20151