MARATHON, A FAMILY-STYLE MARINE HEAVEN
The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys.
Nature is a central feature of Marathon, and enjoying it in a gentle, respectful manner is a way of life in the family-style 10-mile-long island. From the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters to the Dolphin Research Center and the Turtle Hospital, marine life is everywhere at Marathon.
Marathon is also a boatman's favorite with the Marathon City Marina, the Keys' most exclusive mooring spot, and numerous other boat facilities (1,200 wet slips, 1,200 dry slips), as well as perfect accomodations for transient cruisers.
Marathon is one of the easiest location to reach by private plane thanks to its convenient Florida Keys Marathon International Airport rental agencies and taxi service.
Marathon, the marine-friendly Key
- Just before getting into town you can stop by the Dolphin Research Center, a 30+ year-old, not-for-profit marine life education and research facility which organizes hourly and daily visits, interactive animal encounters with sea lions, and a great occasion to swim with dolphins.
- Another fantastic NFP organization is the Turtle Hospital, featuring 90-mns guided educational tours, encounters with the sea turtles, as well as behind-the-scenes visits of the hospital facilities and rehabilitation area.
- At the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters you will find a coral reef exhibit, a 200,000-gallon saltwater aquarium, and you can experience close encounters wih reef fish, stingrays and sharks!
Boating facilities & accomodations
- The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys, mostly famous for its world-class resorts and boating facilities.
- Coming into Marathon from Islamorada, the tiny island of Duck Key is the first of the Marathon Keys, where you can find the renowned beachside inn Hawks Cay Resort.
- Further along, you will find many great resorts on the Ocean Side of the Ocean Highway (Casa del Sol, Bonefish, Rainbow Bend, Seashell Beach...), a host of private waterfront vacation homes, and local fresh seafood restaurants.
- Marathon is also a major boating area with top-notch marine facilities and marinas than can host 1,200 wet slips and 1,200 dry slips.
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN MARATHON
- Scuba divers will have plenty choices between Delta Shoals, Coffin Patch and Sombrero Reef, three exceptional shallow water diving sites perfect for first-timers.
- A great way to discover the island is by kayaking, from the turquoise blue waters of perfectly maintained white sand beaches, to the mangroves and shallow water diving spots.
- Marathon also a lot to offer to occasional anglers and seasoned sportfishermen, with great fishing spots where one can tackle dolphins and tarpons during hot season, tuna and billfish when the waters cool down.
- On the cultural side, the Crane Point Museum, Nature Center & Historic Site offers unique hikes in a well-preserved tropical hardwood grove.
- Pigeon Key is another interesting spot just off the 7 Mile Bridge, this tiny 5-acre island having once hosted the headquarters for the Florida Keys Over-Sea Railroad.
'Sun & Fun' Highlight the Sombrero Beach Run Weekend March 2-4
08 Feb 2018
Florida Keys sunshine, athletic action and family fun attract hundreds of avid runners and walkers from the U.S., Canada and Europe for the annual Sombrero Beach Run weekend, set for Friday through Sunday, March 2-4.
New Florida Keys Accommodations, Activities and Attractions Await Meeting Participants and Groups
08 Feb 2018
In the Florida Keys & Key West it’s easy for groups to unplug. The popular 125-mile-long subtropical island chain continues to be enhanced as a destination for meetings and corporate and incentive groups. New offerings include a soon-to-ope...
'Connections Project' Debuts to Celebrate Florida Keys Arts Community
07 Feb 2018
As well as being connected by the iconic Overseas Highway, the 125-mile-long Florida Keys island chain also is connected by a vibrant community of artists. From now through May 8, art lovers can view a 24-foot mural featuring the work of close to 400...
Latin Sensation to Headline Original Marathon Seafood Festival March 10-11
26 Jan 2018
Fresh shrimp, fish and lobster are headlining the food tents at the 2018 Original Marathon Seafood Festival, and the equally delicious musical lineup is to include Latin sensation Tito Puente Jr. The taste bud–tempting feast is scheduled S...
State of the Florida Keys Tourism Industry Following Hurricane Irma
10 Jan 2018
Key Largo and Key West were least impacted by Hurricane Irma, which struck the Keys Sept. 10, 2017, as were most hotels and businesses on the bayside, or gulfside, in Islamorada and Marathon. The Florida Keys & Key West have been open to visitors...
Marathon -- The Boating and Family DestinationViews:175092
The Islands of MarathonViews:28669
Scuba Diving in Marathon, FloridaViews:20267