MARATHON, A FAMILY-STYLE MARINE HEAVEN
The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys.
Nature is a central feature of Marathon, and enjoying it in a gentle, respectful manner is a way of life in the family-style 10-mile-long island. From the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters to the Dolphin Research Center and the Turtle Hospital, marine life is everywhere at Marathon.
Marathon is also a boatman's favorite with the Marathon City Marina, the Keys' most exclusive mooring spot, and numerous other boat facilities (1,200 wet slips, 1,200 dry slips), as well as perfect accomodations for transient cruisers.
Marathon is one of the easiest location to reach by private plane thanks to its convenient Florida Keys Marathon International Airport rental agencies and taxi service.
Marathon, the marine-friendly Key
- Just before getting into town you can stop by the Dolphin Research Center, a 30+ year-old, not-for-profit marine life education and research facility which organizes hourly and daily visits, interactive animal encounters with sea lions, and a great occasion to swim with dolphins.
- Another fantastic NFP organization is the Turtle Hospital, featuring 90-mns guided educational tours, encounters with the sea turtles, as well as behind-the-scenes visits of the hospital facilities and rehabilitation area.
- At the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters you will find a coral reef exhibit, a 200,000-gallon saltwater aquarium, and you can experience close encounters wih reef fish, stingrays and sharks!
Boating facilities & accomodations
- The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys, mostly famous for its world-class resorts and boating facilities.
- Coming into Marathon from Islamorada, the tiny island of Duck Key is the first of the Marathon Keys, where you can find the renowned beachside inn Hawks Cay Resort.
- Further along, you will find many great resorts on the Ocean Side of the Ocean Highway (Casa del Sol, Bonefish, Rainbow Bend, Seashell Beach...), a host of private waterfront vacation homes, and local fresh seafood restaurants.
- Marathon is also a major boating area with top-notch marine facilities and marinas than can host 1,200 wet slips and 1,200 dry slips.
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN MARATHON
- Scuba divers will have plenty choices between Delta Shoals, Coffin Patch and Sombrero Reef, three exceptional shallow water diving sites perfect for first-timers.
- A great way to discover the island is by kayaking, from the turquoise blue waters of perfectly maintained white sand beaches, to the mangroves and shallow water diving spots.
- Marathon also a lot to offer to occasional anglers and seasoned sportfishermen, with great fishing spots where one can tackle dolphins and tarpons during hot season, tuna and billfish when the waters cool down.
- On the cultural side, the Crane Point Museum, Nature Center & Historic Site offers unique hikes in a well-preserved tropical hardwood grove.
- Pigeon Key is another interesting spot just off the 7 Mile Bridge, this tiny 5-acre island having once hosted the headquarters for the Florida Keys Over-Sea Railroad.
Florida Keys Seven Mile Bridge Run Attracts 1,500 Competitors
14 Apr 2018
Student Aydan Child claimed the overall men’s title during Saturday’s 37th annual Seven Mile Bridge Run across the Florida Keys Overseas Highway’s longest bridge. Child, 17, finished first among some 1,500 participants with a...
Serious Beachin' Fun Awaits at June 2 Florida Keys Dragon Boat Festival
09 Apr 2018
The annual Battle in the Bay Dragon Boat Festival set for Saturday, June 2, at Marathon’s newly renovated Sombrero Beach, offers crowds of cheering spectators beachfront racing excitement and a festive day of fun in the sun.
Afro Roots Fest Heads to the Florida Keys for Multiple Events
03 Apr 2018
The annual Afro Roots World Music Festival has celebrated the evolution of African culture by featuring some of the best performers from the Caribbean, the Americas and Africa during the last two decades. For the first time in its 20-year history, Af...
Restored Cheeca Lodge Reopens, Boosting Florida Keys Inventory
02 Apr 2018
One of the Florida Keys’ iconic resorts has reopened, as the island chain continues unveiling fully refurbished accommodations more than six months after Hurricane Irma.
Florida Governor Helps Turtle Hospital Release Loggerhead
29 Mar 2018
Florida Governor Rick Scott assisted staff at the Turtle Hospital as they released a 100-pound sub-adult loggerhead sea turtle at a Florida Keys beach Wednesday.
Marathon -- The Boating and Family DestinationViews:176820
The Islands of MarathonViews:29176
Scuba Diving in Marathon, FloridaViews:20320