MARATHON, A FAMILY-STYLE MARINE HEAVEN
The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys.
Nature is a central feature of Marathon, and enjoying it in a gentle, respectful manner is a way of life in the family-style 10-mile-long island. From the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters to the Dolphin Research Center and the Turtle Hospital, marine life is everywhere at Marathon.
Marathon is also a boatman's favorite with the Marathon City Marina, the Keys' most exclusive mooring spot, and numerous other boat facilities (1,200 wet slips, 1,200 dry slips), as well as perfect accomodations for transient cruisers.
Marathon is one of the easiest location to reach by private plane thanks to its convenient Florida Keys Marathon International Airport rental agencies and taxi service.
Marathon, the marine-friendly Key
- Just before getting into town you can stop by the Dolphin Research Center, a 30+ year-old, not-for-profit marine life education and research facility which organizes hourly and daily visits, interactive animal encounters with sea lions, and a great occasion to swim with dolphins.
- Another fantastic NFP organization is the Turtle Hospital, featuring 90-mns guided educational tours, encounters with the sea turtles, as well as behind-the-scenes visits of the hospital facilities and rehabilitation area.
- At the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters you will find a coral reef exhibit, a 200,000-gallon saltwater aquarium, and you can experience close encounters wih reef fish, stingrays and sharks!
Boating facilities & accomodations
- The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys, mostly famous for its world-class resorts and boating facilities.
- Coming into Marathon from Islamorada, the tiny island of Duck Key is the first of the Marathon Keys, where you can find the renowned beachside inn Hawks Cay Resort.
- Further along, you will find many great resorts on the Ocean Side of the Ocean Highway (Casa del Sol, Bonefish, Rainbow Bend, Seashell Beach...), a host of private waterfront vacation homes, and local fresh seafood restaurants.
- Marathon is also a major boating area with top-notch marine facilities and marinas than can host 1,200 wet slips and 1,200 dry slips.
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN MARATHON
- Scuba divers will have plenty choices between Delta Shoals, Coffin Patch and Sombrero Reef, three exceptional shallow water diving sites perfect for first-timers.
- A great way to discover the island is by kayaking, from the turquoise blue waters of perfectly maintained white sand beaches, to the mangroves and shallow water diving spots.
- Marathon also a lot to offer to occasional anglers and seasoned sportfishermen, with great fishing spots where one can tackle dolphins and tarpons during hot season, tuna and billfish when the waters cool down.
- On the cultural side, the Crane Point Museum, Nature Center & Historic Site offers unique hikes in a well-preserved tropical hardwood grove.
- Pigeon Key is another interesting spot just off the 7 Mile Bridge, this tiny 5-acre island having once hosted the headquarters for the Florida Keys Over-Sea Railroad.
World War II–Era Middle Keys Airport to Celebrate 75 Years of Service
01 Oct 2018
A vital Middle Keys airways connection to the mainland, the Florida Keys Marathon International Airport is to recognize 75 years of service in a family-friendly celebration set for Saturday, Oct. 20, in Marathon.
Florida Keys Tourism Rebounds with Fresh New Resorts, New Airlift
19 Sep 2018
Almost a year after Hurricane Irma passed through the Florida Keys, Hawks Cay Resort, one of the Florida Keys’ largest properties, has reopened following a $50 million renovation.
All-New Accommodations and Offerings Among What's New in the Florida Keys & Key West
18 Sep 2018
New offerings awaiting visitors to the Florida Keys & Key West this fall include mermaid and flamingo adventures, a Keyswide sculpture trail and a marine science experience. In addition, Hawks Cay Resort has reopened after a $50 million...
Pause for the Claws at Stone Crab Eating Contest Nov. 10
18 Sep 2018
Jumpstarting the Florida Keys’ seven-month stone crab harvest season is a much-anticipated munch-a-thon — the eighth annual Stone Crab Claw Eating Contest for amateur eaters set for Saturday, Nov. 10, in Marathon.
Florida Keys & Key West Unveils Value-Added 'ValuCation' Program
15 Aug 2018
The Florida Keys tourism council is launching a value-added ValueCation program for travelers to the Florida Keys & Key West.
Marathon -- The Boating and Family DestinationViews:181669
The Islands of MarathonViews:29950
Scuba Diving in Marathon, FloridaViews:20422