MARATHON, A FAMILY-STYLE MARINE HEAVEN
The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys.
Nature is a central feature of Marathon, and enjoying it in a gentle, respectful manner is a way of life in the family-style 10-mile-long island. From the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters to the Dolphin Research Center and the Turtle Hospital, marine life is everywhere at Marathon.
Marathon is also a boatman's favorite with the Marathon City Marina, the Keys' most exclusive mooring spot, and numerous other boat facilities (1,200 wet slips, 1,200 dry slips), as well as perfect accomodations for transient cruisers.
Marathon is one of the easiest location to reach by private plane thanks to its convenient Florida Keys Marathon International Airport rental agencies and taxi service.
Marathon, the marine-friendly Key
- Just before getting into town you can stop by the Dolphin Research Center, a 30+ year-old, not-for-profit marine life education and research facility which organizes hourly and daily visits, interactive animal encounters with sea lions, and a great occasion to swim with dolphins.
- Another fantastic NFP organization is the Turtle Hospital, featuring 90-mns guided educational tours, encounters with the sea turtles, as well as behind-the-scenes visits of the hospital facilities and rehabilitation area.
- At the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters you will find a coral reef exhibit, a 200,000-gallon saltwater aquarium, and you can experience close encounters wih reef fish, stingrays and sharks!
Boating facilities & accomodations
- The 10-mile-long island of Marathon is a laid-back, family-oriented community located in the middle of the Florida Keys archipelago and the last one before entering the Lower Keys, mostly famous for its world-class resorts and boating facilities.
- Coming into Marathon from Islamorada, the tiny island of Duck Key is the first of the Marathon Keys, where you can find the renowned beachside inn Hawks Cay Resort.
- Further along, you will find many great resorts on the Ocean Side of the Ocean Highway (Casa del Sol, Bonefish, Rainbow Bend, Seashell Beach...), a host of private waterfront vacation homes, and local fresh seafood restaurants.
- Marathon is also a major boating area with top-notch marine facilities and marinas than can host 1,200 wet slips and 1,200 dry slips.
OTHER ACTIVITIES IN MARATHON
- Scuba divers will have plenty choices between Delta Shoals, Coffin Patch and Sombrero Reef, three exceptional shallow water diving sites perfect for first-timers.
- A great way to discover the island is by kayaking, from the turquoise blue waters of perfectly maintained white sand beaches, to the mangroves and shallow water diving spots.
- Marathon also a lot to offer to occasional anglers and seasoned sportfishermen, with great fishing spots where one can tackle dolphins and tarpons during hot season, tuna and billfish when the waters cool down.
- On the cultural side, the Crane Point Museum, Nature Center & Historic Site offers unique hikes in a well-preserved tropical hardwood grove.
- Pigeon Key is another interesting spot just off the 7 Mile Bridge, this tiny 5-acre island having once hosted the headquarters for the Florida Keys Over-Sea Railroad.
Marathon Marlin Tournament to Challenge Anglers July 14-16
08 Jun 2017
A challenging Middle Keys marlin tournament is to test anglers’ skill Friday through Sunday, July 14-16.
July 4 Festivities and Fireworks to Sparkle Throughout Florida Keys
02 Jun 2017
Independence Day celebrations throughout the 125-mile-long Florida Keys island chain salute the nation’s freedom — and the quirky independent spirit of the Keys — with local parades, picnics and parties topped off by fireworks displ...
Islamorada Beer Co. Team Wins Bull and Cow Fishing Tournament
09 May 2017
Team Islamorada Beer Co. secured the overall win and an $18,000 first-place cash prize at Marathon’s 11th annual Bull and Cow Dolphin Tournament that ended May 7 in the Middle Florida Keys.
State Parks of the Middle and Lower Keys
03 May 2017
In the Middle and Lower Florida Keys, four unique state parks — Long Key, Curry Hammock, Bahia Honda and Fort Zachary Taylor — are easy to explore and offer some of the best recreational opportunities in the 125-mile-long island chain.
Aquarium Encounters in Marathon
03 May 2017
You shouldn’t feed reef fish while snorkeling or diving in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary because it disrupts their natural behavior, but that activity is encouraged at the Florida Keys Aquarium Encounters.
Marathon -- The Boating and Family DestinationViews:150659
The Islands of MarathonViews:27321
Scuba Diving in Marathon, FloridaViews:20064